Sunday 13 January 2013

"Igloo in Australia"

This week letter is 'I'.  It doesn't make sense, especially living in Queensland where summers are hot, but the first word that came to mind was "igloo".  Go figure!

No, don't groan, I didn't paint an igloo.  I tossed up 'indigo' and 'ink' and thought I might do an ink drawing.  Then I remembered my glass ink pens I bought last year in Eumundi and thought I would share these pieces of art here instead.






Aren't they beautiful?  They are made by Wolfgang Engel who has a workshop in Tina Cooper Gallery Eumundi, Qld.  Wolfgang is a Hot Flame Artist who is known for his beautifully crafted glass objects as well as his glass pens, an ancient tradition from Venice, Italy.

I visited the gallery in May 2012 and Wolfgang was there making small glass animals and had many of these glass pens with stands available. The nibs are spiralled and hold a good amount of ink. I have not used them yet, I am happy to display them as a piece of art and enjoy their beauty and craftmanship.
You can read more about Wolfgang here Wolfgang Engel

2 comments:

  1. They are lovely, notice how the shadow criss crosses like the pattern on the pen in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shadow is nearly as nice as the pen.

      Delete