Tuesday 27 November 2012

Commission finished!

And on the tenth day I completed it!  Quite a bit of procrastination mixed up with a bit of travel and a house-guest,  so 10 days is excellent.  The blood, sweat and tears can't be seen, thankfully, but there was a lot of self-doubt, impatience and terror that's for sure.

It's really weird how you can go through so many emotions and yet at the end come up with a painting that you are really happy with.  If it's a painting for yourself and it doesn't work you can throw it or paint over it, but a commission means you have to finish it, you have to put your money where your mouth is and you have to produce the goods.

I hope my friend is happy with it.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know this lady, but your portrait is saying that she is a genuinely nice person, so for me you've captured something more than just the physical. I also really like your background - inspired by the frangapanis that are in bloom at the moment?? Vincent Van Gogh sometimes used similar decorative backgrounds in his portraits, and they're so effective and lovely and also like yours, say something about the person portrayed e.g. 'The Postman Roulin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I asked my friend what her Mum's favourite flower was so I could make it a bit more personal and not have a boring plain background. I was inspired by artist Emily Porter Salmon's work who uses patterns and words in her backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete